The Project ‘’Black Sea Earthquake Safety Net(work)
The project ’’Black Sea Earthquake Safety Net(work) – ESNET’’ is structured with the objective contributing to the prevention of natural disasters generated by earthquakes in Black Sea Basin, by developing a joint monitoring and intervention concept. The Project has started in March 2012 and has 2 year duration till 2014. The Project ESNET is funded by the Black Sea Basin Programme.
The Black Sea Basin Joint Operational Programme (JOP) is one of the EU operational programmes under the European Neighborhood & Partnership Instrument (ENPI). It is implemented during the programming period 2007-2013.
The Black Sea JOP aims at a stronger and more sustainable economic and social development of the Black Sea Basin regions. Through the Black Sea JOP, communities in the areas concerned will be encouraged to further develop their local economy, confront environmental challenges and promote greater interaction among people.
In the project are participating 4 partner countries
- Republic of Moldova
The Project is funded by EU under the cross border partnership of IPA Leader International Blue Crescent Relief and Development Foundation – IBC from Turkey, ENPI Leader National Institute of Research and Development for Earth Physics – NIEP, Geophysical Institute of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences BAS and Geology and Seismology Institute of Moldavian Academy of Sciences – IGS.
Objectives of the project:
To contribute to the prevention of natural disasters generated by earthquakes in Black Sea basin by developing a joint monitoring and intervention concept.
All the countries involved in the project have their own studies, strategies, prevention and intervention systems in case of earthquakes, but until now there has not been an integrated approach so far in the Black Sea basin. Given the cross-border character of seismic activity, it is necessary to have a cross-border approach on prevention, monitoring and intervention in case of earthquakes.
All these taking into account that the Black Sea area has a long history in what concerns the earthquakes, some of them followed by destructive tsunamis.
1. The assessment of the disaster potential, with accent on the seismic risk degree and the earthquakes effects in the intervention area.
2. To develop an integrated seismic monitoring and intervention area.
3. To increase the capacity of local institutions emergency intervention units for joint response activities in case of disasters.
Broad expert knowledge shared on the earthquake related issues for each participating country; Support of the public authorities for elaborated reports and proposed plans; increased cooperation between relevant actors in the participating countries in the field of earthquake monitoring; increased use of modern, effective tools for:
- Monitoring and early warning in case of earthquakes;
- Sharing expertise;
- A better overview of the earthquakes potential in the participating countries; Possible extension of the network to other/all countries in the Black Sea Basin; Better reaction to earthquakes both from population and from emergency units, thus reducing the damages in case of earthquakes.
- Benefits from each other’s expertise. Furthermore, this shared expertise should be also transferred to the population as an important factor in earthquakes effects mitigation.
- Strengthening the cooperation in this field would help increasing the knowledge about the earthquakes in terms of probability of occurrence and destructive potential, thus leading to a better preparation of early warning and intervention actions.
- Partnership among research institutes, public authorities, civil society and emergency intervention structures for preventing natural disasters is essential in order to protect local communities- people and economies.
- Economic and social development, possible only in a safe environment, build-up through the cooperation among representative factors from all countries involved. The main important aspects are related to overcoming barriers, building trust and jointly participating in the identification and prevention of the natural disasters – earthquakes in order to exploit the common opportunities, as well as in finding solutions to the common problems or threats.
- Achieving a stronger regional partnership and cooperation, thus contributing to a stronger and more sustainable economic and social development of the regions in the Black Sea Basin. The present project builds a network and proposes a series of joint activities which will contribute to the consolidation of foundations underpinning the social and economic development.
- The instruments and tools that will be developed within the project will be consequently used by all the regions involved in a joint concept of prevention and reaction to disasters in the Black Sea Basin area. The alignment plan, network, the IT tools and the new competences and skills acquired by the target groups will represent the common layer for further projects and actions on long term.